Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema In the Tepidarium painting

Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema In the Tepidarium paintingGeorges Seurat Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte paintingWilliam Blake Songs of Innocence painting
, and switches, that quietly hummed and clicked. There was a subtle fetid odor about, not describable but distinctly unpleasant. My rival's appearance was not exactly as I recalled it -- his skin seemed paler, his mustache smaller, his face less round, his pate more bald -- but his eyes, unmistakable, gave back my flashlight-beam as if they too were lit.
"No lights necessary," he said.
I braced my back against the panel opposite the console and raised my stick, still holding in my left hand the flashlight and my watch with its broken chain. My plan had been to move straight to the Grate, ignoring Bray utterly if I could and striking him down if he tried to stop me. But it was bitter to see him perched in white-frocked authority with Anastasia reverent beside him. I left the light on.
"Don't be upset, George," Anastasia begged. "Dr. Bray's not abit jealous. He says He'll program an Assignment for you and let you try the Grate. We saw your Trial-by-Turnstile on Telerama, and you were wonderful!"

No comments: