Saturday, August 23, 2008

Albert Bierstadt Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains California painting

Albert Bierstadt Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains California paintingAlbert Bierstadt In the Mountains paintingAlbert Bierstadt Yosemite Valley painting
whose name had made him ominously restive, to marvel further at Anastasia's charity. He stirred in her direction and had to be tapped smartly twice or thrice with my stick, which discipline I was not at all sure wouldn't turn him upon me. Indeed, he caught the stick in his hand and bit into the shaft of it -- a testimonial to the power of his jaws, for the wood was hard -- and despite Anastasia's assuring me that he often chewed on boughs and twigs for amusement, and could even nibble quite clever decorations into canes and chair-rungs with no other chisels than his teeth, I was by no means certain I'd be able to restrain him, especially without my weapon, if he took it into mind to assault her once again. As it happened, we all were diverted just then by snarlings in the nearby forest, which grew to a roar and burst upon the beach with half a dozen bright lights, flashing red or blinding white. For all my resolve I was taken with alarm, very nearly with panic; G. W. Gruff himself might have trembled at so instant and terrific a besetting -- unheard-of, unprepared-for,

No comments: