Monday, October 6, 2008

Claude Monet Voorzan near Zaandam painting

Claude Monet Voorzan near Zaandam paintingClaude Monet Vetheuil in the Summer paintingClaude Monet Venice The Doge Palace painting
had imagined people made at the moment of death, but his eyes moved so that we knew there was still in him.
I suddenly felt the longing for a sign, if only of courtesy, if only for the sake of the woman I loved, who knelt in front of me, praying, I knew, for a sign. It seemed so small a thing that was asked, the bare acknowledgement of a present, a nod in the crowd. I prayed more simply; ‘God forgive him his sins’ and ‘Please God, make him accept your forgiveness.’
So small a thing to ask.
The priest took the little silver box from his pocket and spoke again in Latin, touching the dying man with an oil wad; he finished what he had to do, put away the box and gave the final blessing. Suddenly Lord Marchmain

No comments: