Tuesday, May 20, 2008

famous painting

famous painting
Lord Hertford flew to Tom, but returned to the king before very long, troubled and empty-handed. He delivered himself to this effect:
"It grieveth me, my lord the king, to bear so heavy and unwelcome tidings; but it is the will of God that the prince's affliction abideth still, and he cannot recall to mind that he received the Seal. So came I quickly to report, thinking it were waste of precious time, and little worth withal, that any should attempt to search the long array of chambers and saloons that belong unto his royal high-"
A groan from the king interrupted my lord at this point. After a while his majesty said, with a deep sadness in his tone:
"Trouble him no more, poor child. The hand of God lieth heavy upon him, and my heart goeth out in loving compassion for him, and sorrow that I may not bear his burden on mine own old trouble-weighted shoulders, and so bring him peace."
He closed his eyes, fell to mumbling, and presently was silent. After a time he opened his eyes again, and gazed vacantly around until his glance rested upon the kneeling Lord Chancellor. Instantly his face flushed with wrath:
"What, thou here yet! By the glory of God, an thou gettest not about that traitor's business, thy miter shall have holiday the morrow for lack of a head to grace withal!"
The trembling Chancellor answered:
"Good your majesty, I cry you mercy! I but waited for the Seal."

No comments: